How to Get the Best MacBook Maintenance Tricks and Tips 2024
MacBooks are acknowledged for their high-speed performance, reliability, and low-maintenance routines. Over time, you might see your MacBook getting slower than it was in its initial days. Chances are that your Apple notebook requires some MacBook maintenance steps to retrieve optimised performance in no time.
Without regular maintenance, your Mac starts getting cluttered with odd and unnecessary files and folders. For example, you might download the same file multiple times. Or, you may install too many applications and slow your Mac down.
Managing your Mac’s file system is one of the best maintenance and optimisation tricks that will keep your macOS up and running. However, this is not the only option to keep your MacBook in top shape. Let’s find out how to maintain your MacBook to stay at the peak of productivity.
Regular Maintenance Tips You Can Vouch for
Be it a MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, or Mac Mini – you can keep your Mac computer healthy by following some expert-recommended tips. Not every MacBook defect arises from a severe hardware or software problem. Sometimes, you can fix slow performance and other glitches through general maintenance tips.
So, you can try the following maintenance tricks before you look for MacBook repair near me:
1. Look for Updates
macOS updates are crucial for your MacBook to be working properly as they are full of new features, security upgrades, and more. So, you can keep your MacBook in tip-top condition with state-of-the-art features.
Additionally, your MacBook remains safe against security vulnerabilities. Make sure that you save your ongoing work on your Mac and back up your data before proceeding with a software update.
Typically, your MacBook should update itself automatically. Still, you can check for updates using the following steps:
- Navigate to your MacBook’s top-left corner and click the Apple icon.
- Choose System Settings or System Preferences once the drop-down menu appears.
- Next, find the Software Update icon and click on it.
- A window of Software Update should open up. You can see all the necessary information about available software updates.
- After that, check if the ‘Update Now’ option pops up as it indicates that a new update is available. Updating your Mac computer will install a macOS update and not an upgrade. Sometimes, you can see the ‘Upgrade Now’ option and it will take you to the next macOS upgrade.
- Click on the ‘Update Now’ or ‘Upgrade Now’ option according to your preference. For best results, you should go for what your Mac suggests.
The overall update can take a while depending on the size of the software update or upgrade. Let your Mac restart with the latest version of macOS.
2. Manage Your Mac’s Battery Life
Many Mac users complain about degrading battery life and runtime. Like any other gadget, your Mac is supposed to lose its optimum touch for its battery. However, a few MacBook maintenance tips can save its battery from premature death.
Start by inspecting the battery health of your MacBook. You can click on the Battey icon from the menu bar and navigate to Battery Preferences. Then, go to the tab called Battery and check out the Battery Health section. You can see the current condition of your Mac battery.
On the other hand, you can try the following guidelines to keep your Mac battery optimised:
- You can set your Mac display to dim slightly when it’s on battery power.
- Additionally, Mac allows you to optimise video steaming for the sake of battery health.
- Turn off keyboard backlights when you don’t need them. Keyboard backlights can make your Mac battery drain faster. However, you can go to the Keyboard column under System Preferences or System Settings and disable backlights. Otherwise, you can adjust the keyboard backlight’s intensity.
- Are you using a third-party web browser on your MacBook? Using Google Chrome or other browsers instead of Safari can take a great toll on the battery life. Apple estimates MacBook’s battery life with Safari as the default web browser. So, switch back to Safari if you use anything else than that.
- Another quick battery optimisation hack is to disable Bluetooth on your MacBook when you don’t use it.
- Ensure you close applications after using them. Additionally, don’t leave any accessories connected to your MacBook. Especially if they are Bluetooth-connected. Unplug your tablet or smartphone from your Mac unless they can drain your Apple notebook’s battery.
3. Scan Your Mac System for Malware
Mac computers are celebrated for their strong immunity against threats like viruses, malware, adware, etc. Still, they can get infected by malicious files and start behaving weirdly. So, you should scan your MacBook with compatible antivirus software from time to time.
You can use any reliable antivirus suitable to your macOS version and your preferences. Additionally, you should go through the following guidelines to be sure that your computer is free from viruses and threats:
- Be aware of malicious apps and files. Navigate to the Applications folder under Finder and check out if there’s any listing that you don’t recognise. Delete such entries and empty the Trash.
- Apart from this, go to the Activity Monitor interface and look for suspicious apps consuming resources like crazy. Close those apps and delete them from your Mac if you don’t require them.
- Remove unknown extensions from your browser.
- Most importantly, keep your Mac computer updated. Already your MacBook is set to check for software updates on its own. After your Mac alerts you about a pending software update, you can download and install them to avoid security vulnerabilities.
4. Backup Your Mac Regularly
If anything tragic happens to your MacBook, all your data will be at stake. Indeed, you might have to reach a MacBook repair near me. So, data backup should be in your regular MacBook maintenance routine. For easy backup, set up your iCloud storage and back everything up to the cloud storage.
On the other hand, you can establish a backup regime with the following instructions:
- Get an external hard drive having sufficient storage space to accommodate your Mac backups.
- Next, use a compatible cable to connect the external drive to your Mac computer.
- After that, you can configure the Time Machine feature once your device prompts. Otherwise, here’s how you may do it manually:
- Head towards System Settings or System Preferences.
- Spot and select the icon of Time Machine.
- Afterwards, click the button that says, ‘Select Backup Disk’.
- Select the external disk you have connected to your MacBook. Your Time Machine backups will be stored there.
- Choose the option of ‘Back Up Automatically’. Thus, your Mc’s data will be backed up at periodic intervals.
Moreover, you can personalise backup options there. Let the backup process begin after you review everything.
5. Run Disk Utility
The Disk Utility app is a necessary tool to repair your Mac’s hard drive. It’s important to run the tool at least once a month to keep the hard drive healthy and your files managed. Here’s what you need to go through:
- Utilise Finder to navigate to the Applications folder.
- After that, locate Utilities and open the folder up.
- Double-click the icon of Disk Utility and choose the particular hard drive or volume you need to examine.
- Now, you should be viewing information regarding the drive such as the available and used storage space.
- Next, you can run a diagnostic on that specific drive by clicking the First Aid button.
- The diagnostic can take a while and will return the errors found within the hard drive or volume.
- Click the Repair Disk button to fix the found errors.
6. Make Space on Your Mac’s Hard Drive
Duplicate files might be scattered all around on your Mac. finding them and deleting them one by one on your own will take too much time and effort. On a contrary note, you may end up deleting necessary files. So, you can install a Mac-compatible cleanup tool to get rid of duplicate and unwanted files.
Otherwise, you have to dig up your Mac’s hard drive and inspect each file on your own. However, Mac hides many files on purpose. So, you can go through the steps below to make those files surface up:
- Launch Finder on the computer.
- Now, select your user name or Macintosh HD under the Favourites column.
- Press the following keys simultaneously: Command, Shift, and Period.
Now, you can go through every single file and folder on your Mac. Delete older backups, unnecessary applications, and whatever feels justified to you.
Wrap it up…
You can also include a desktop decluttering to your MacBook maintenance regime. The more your Macbook will remain clean, the more efficient and productive it will be. If your Mac requires a performance boost, battery replacement, or MacBook Maintenance and anything else, visit a MacBook repair near me.
Count on the MacBook repair Dubai store’s reputation, positive reviews, quality of craftsmanship, experience, and warranty factors before a commitment.